Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Frontier Stew

During our recent trip to Albuquerque, MN to help Natalie find an apartment, we managed a day trip to Bandolier, Sante Fe and Taos.  The destination was really Taos, so that I could introduce Carolyn and Natalie to Michael’s Kitchen and Bakery, and, more importantly, to introduce them to the tamale plate.  It had been at least 15 years since I was last there, but it proved to be as good as I remember (except they now add shredded lettuce, which is an unnecessary garnish).  The very next day we had lunch at the Frontier Restaurant, in Albuqwerky.  I ordered a sampler plate and discovered that the enchilada was covered in the same, delicious gravy as the tamales at Michaels.  Except the call the gravy, “the stew.”  An internet search turned up the recipe and I made it for Natalie, Julia and Carolyn this evening.  The stew was served over home made refried beans (see recipe) and tamales from Costco, accompanied by a Lime Greem Salad.  I only wish I had remembered to wear one of my cowboy hats!

JBrzezinski_IMG_1374_22863-Edit_{srgb}

1 lb ground pork 
1 medium onion, chopped 
3 large cloves garlic, minced 
1 tablespoon oil, for frying 
3 tablespoons flour 
1 generous cup diced potatoes 
1/2 to 1 cup chopped green chile, to taste 
1 quart chicken stock 
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground pork and chopped onion, breaking apart pork into small pieces. When pork is no longer pink and onions are translucent, add garlic and cook for a minute or so. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of flour; stir to combine.

2. Add potatoes, the green chiles, and chicken stock. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook, covered, until potatoes are just tender, 20-30 minutes.

Note 1:  Each batch of green chiles is different in both flavor and heat.  Test the chiles by tasting before beginning to cook.  The chiles I used had no heat at all, so I added one medium jalapeno to give the dish a bit of heat.

Note 2:  The Frontier Restaurant uses Hatch chiles, which I could not get.  I used a mild green chile that looks like a Hatch chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment